2016-05-08

Photo spheres at night


The light gathering capability of my Nexus 6P is quite remarkable, and can capture decent imagery in near-dark conditions. However, I had not tried capturing a photo sphere at night with it until recently.

We were in Ottawa for an event last week, and took advantage of the mild evening to stroll around a nearly empty Parliament Hill. As an RCMP officer in a parked cruiser looked on with more-than-casual interest, I did my slow rotation to capture this image.



Parliament Hill at night, by Eric Fletcher

Not bad. There is certainly some graininess, but I think it captured the mood quite well. The Parliamentary precinct has several major renovation projects underway; ergo the construction cranes.

This second photo sphere was taken a few metres away at the top of the grand staircase leading to the front door of the building.



Parliament Hill from the main entry stairs, by Eric Fletcher

The RCMP officer’s black SUV can be seen in this image.

The Android camera app allows me to create a “tiny planet” image from a photosphere. This is a rendering from the above photosphere (click it to see the full square view):

Fun eh?

No comments: